After 2 years livin”nLiberia its time to expand this blog a bit. I’m bored with it and haven’t written much at all this year.
Taking my restlessness as a hint, therefore, I want to post my list of ‘Top Ten places I want to explore in Africa’. Its actually not too easy to drill the list down to the top 10 in africa, so after hours of pondering I’ve ended up with my list of top 20 places to visit in sub-saharan africa.
I’m driven by a desire to see the best safari destinations, world heritage sites, and the best beach locations, but of course there’s heaps more to see on his vast continent than can be contained in this list. Anyway, the list will be my starting point for my holiday planning for 2011. My challenge – to see how much of the list I can enjoy by 31 Dec 2011.
My list of top 20 places to visit in sub-saharan Africa…(in no particular order)
- Kenya – Masai Mara, Samburu, Amboselli, Tsavo and other National Parks [DONE]
- Botswana – Okavango Delta, Chobe National Park
- Namibia – Skeleton Coast, Namib desert, Etosha National Park
- Tanzania – Serengeti National Park and Ngorongo Crater [DONE] Very nice but lousy roads
- Uganda – Bwindi Impenetrable Forest and mountain gorillas [DONE] See my Uganda’s mountain gorilla page for more information on this!
- Tanzania – Zanzibar [DONE] and will do it again! Special!
- South Africa – Cape of Good Hope, Rodden Island, Table Mountain [DONE]
- Kenya – Lamu Island [DONE]
- Zambia/Zimbabwe – Victoria Falls
- Ghana – Kakum National Park and Cape Coast fort [DONE]
- South Africa – Krueger National Park [DONE]
- Senegal – Goree Island, St Louis Island [DONE]
- Tanzania – Mt Kiliminjaro [SEEN IT, BUT MAYBE I SHOULD CLIMB IT – later]
- Rwanda – Virguna mountains and the mountain gorillas
- Zambia – South Luange National Park
- Kenya/Tanzania – the great migration
- Gabon – national park
- Malawi – Lake Malawi
- Namibia – Fish River Canyon
The additional challenge is to document each place with fotoz and commentary. I’ve got 10,000s of fotoz from all my travels and safaris – I just need bandwidth and time to post the best of them to whet people’s appetites. This is a brilliantly beautiful continent and yet also tragically difficult place to live in. I hope I’ll get to share my experiences and thoughts but also to hear from others who have travelled the same roads and enjoyed the same sites.
Of course I can intersperse the top 20 places in sub-saharan africa with the top 10 places to visit in Liberia – now there’s a weirdly unique challenge – what should be included in that list? waterside markets, africa hotel, robertsport, monkey island, red light market, …